20130313

Mother Earth: Sisters of the Moon

Alright, another beer from North Carolina. Mother Earth has quite a reputation. I had never heard of it until I moved to NC. I have heard of others from here, such as Duck Rabbit and... Ok. I think that is the only I have heard of. People asked me about Olde Hickory once I got here so I guess I should have been watching out for them. I learned a bit about NC Beer and the breweries at a festival last summer, so that is a plus and I first tasted Mother Earth at The Great American Beer Fest. I tasted a few good ones but lets see what this beer is about.

According to the website, I should have drank this one in a stemmed glass, but I did not pour this beer myself. So I guess I cannot complain too much. Not that I always get beer into it's proper glassware. But, you know.
Made with hops grown in the good 'ol USA... you'll proudly support American farmers when you drink this beer! Light copper in color, it has an intense hop aroma and strong hop bitterness. Our hopback process uses fresh hop cones to take this IPA to unexpected places. Prepare for a mouthful of flavor.


On top of this golden IPA I got a finger width head that dissipated rather quickly. I wonder if the aroma of this beer suffered any because I see that it has a bottle date of 11/02/12... Again, I need to quit getting caught up by the new, huge display in the front of the store. Damn You Sam's Quik Shop! I should have known something was up... The nose was kind of faint but malt forward with some nice citrus notes. That could be all there is to it in this beer but they do boast about using a hopback.

The texture is very creamy and it has a good malt base. Low carbonation level but an immediate citrus rush over. A touch grassy and an added sweetness with orange zest lingering in the back of your throat. Overall, it was a decent IPA. I think it actually conformed to it's style and did not try and break the mold. Something that should be done more often, if you ask me. I wonder how this is at the source...

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment