20130103

Victory Yakima Glory

I used to live about 30 minutes from Yakima. I went to college in that area. That is really the only reason I moved that far over the mountains from home. When it comes to making a beer that captures the essence of the area... I wonder if these people have even been there.



This is the sign that you see after the second Yakima exit and right before you are heading out of town. By Palm Springs, I think they are referring to the amount of Cocaine that comes through this town. If you are hungry get off after this exit and you can hit up IHOP, Denny's or a few other spots with some good and cheap food... I think this Denny's serves beer for what ales (lagers, actually) yah! Anyway, but yeah.
The tenacious grip of big, juicy hop aroma and character slides smoothly into rich, dark malts. This heavyweight battle between fresh, Yakima Valley hops and dark, roasted malts is resolved harmoniously as the flavors merge to deliver complex satisfaction with a warming edge. Bask in the “glory”­ of the bright and brassy hops!


There are some CDAs out there I can really get behind but this style is just so poorly made. Deschutes knows how to do it right, but they live in the area known as Cascadia, so they better! I have even heard reports of IPLagers... I won't get into that.

So, Yakima Glory, a deep dark amber on the pour with an off white head. The hop aroma come off pretty light and grassy and earthy. Though on the first sip you see a very aggressively hopped ale. The bitterness attacks you immediately and you taste the grassy, dirty hop flavors. Very warming on the finish and a citrusy layer comes in then as well. It does have a nice light, easy drinking mouthfeel but everything together detracts from it.

I guess they were going into the whole west coast hop thing with but they failed to balance it correctly with the beer. Not my style of beer. I do like IPAs but you can't just go brewing them without thought. Too many people do that. Especially if you are trying to copy the style/pay tribute to an area. It gets better as you drink on but it is still not something that I think I will be visiting again.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment