20130118

Flying Dog, Part 3

Now that we are at Part 3 of this Flying Dog takeover, where to start this one? I finished with Old Scratch last time so... Hmmm.... UnderDog Atlantic Lager?
Don't be an underdog in this crazy game called life. Now is no time to be a pawn. The kings and queens rule the board, so that's who you've gotta be. Keep your head up, stand tall, and carry on. We're pulling for you.


This beer had a touch of a grainy malt feel to it but the caramel really rounded it out. The crisp sweetness and the grassy hops are really what made this lager. It poured nice and bright with a rocky white head. The message this beer was trying to send across did let its true purpose be known. Always listen to the bottle.

Another seasonal that came out of nowhere, Garde Dog. The excerpt on this one is kind of hillarious.
Wee Wee (insert dirty French laugh here). Biere de Garde is a traditional French farmhouse ale brewed in March for drinking during the spring and summer months. Like another great French tradition, surrender your taste buds to Garde Dogs toasted aroma and spicy malty sweetness. Wee wee. Haw haw haw.
Ok, I guess it was pretty straight forward but the start and finish really got me. You have to admit, that is funny.

This beer presented the sweet malts up front and it was quite earthy. So far living up to the expectaions they set. The flavor has some clove and pepper but an odd, dry finish. I don't really know how to explain this one. Oh well I guess.



This next beer is a style that I do not know what to think of. I guess this one was not bad, but it did not sell me on the point either. Not everything has to be an IPA. Some things are good as is. Why try and reinvent it? Raging Bitch Belgian IPA. See, or maybe you don't... It was quite interesting. Grassy hops, medium body, a lot of the belgian character came through fro sure. but I just don't know... The excerpt on this one is a bit long... not that has stopped me before, but I guess I will let you pick up this bottle and read it while you figure the beer out.

Pearl Necklace says nothing interesting. Oh, well. Though the proceeds from purchase go to benefit a good cause... more oysters... probably for beer :D I have only had one of these before. I believe it was from Taps Fish House but it really intregued me. This one was very assertive and had a dark bitterness mixed with a soft feeling in my mouth... quite you. I don't really know how to pick out oysters but I am sure they were there. Maybe it was that twang I tasted. Not quite salty, but not quite meaty... maybe I don't know what I am talking about...

El Dorado. The Golden One. The ultimate prize legions spend their lives seeking. With overwhelming citrus aroma, sharp hop bitterness, and a crisp dry finish, this is the end of your journey. This is probably one of the best single hopped beers I have ever tasted. I mean, I know I have not had many but this one for sure takes the cake. Everything about this is amazing.

Horn Dog is a big malty monster of a brew. Fortunately, its wrath is moderately hopped and tastes like licorice and chocolate. Horn is such a robust beast that we have to keep it caged and contained at the brewery for a couple months before letting it integrate with the public. This beer pretty much is a description of me. I don't know how else to put it. The small tan head, a purple to deep ruby color and nice carbonation. Very malty with ripe fruits that are only a tad hot. Surprisingly though, it is very mellow though very complex. Robust but smooth like chocolate. I do get some of that licorice they were describing but the deep dark fruits are key. A great barley wine.



Wildeman His axe is stained with the blood of a thousand adversaries. We fall in behind him as he leads us into the darkness. He turns his gaze on us. "Tentanda via est!" The way must be tried. I am still torn on this style of beer. Nothing was done to convince me. I think that maybe IPAs and Belgians should not meet up. I mean, I preferred this to the Raging Bitch, but yeah...



Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment