20130124

Birra Etrusca Bronze

Dogfish Head has done it again. They have found an ancient artifact that was suspected to be used to drink a beer from way back in the day. They had it analyzed and put together the ingredients to create another Ancient Ale, Birra Etrusca Bronze. This beer was discovered with the help and research of a couple other breweries and an archaeologist. They are all releasing a version of this beer from what I understand. Apparently this ale changed the game. They went out of their way to show that Italians not only like wine, that they also had room for beer at their dinner table.
Birra del Borgo and Baladin also will brew a version of Birra Etrusca, and to add complexity and variety, each brewery will ferment its batches with different traditional materials. Dogfish will use bronze, Baladin will use wood, and Birra del Borgo will use terra cotta.
The list of ingredients on this one were kind of wild. The bottle list Honey, Hazelnut Flour, Heirloom Wheat, Myrrh (which I had no idea was so valuable), Gentian root (whatever that is), Raisins, Pomegranate Juice, & Pomegranates. That is quite a bit of ingredients. I would probably never track down any of that stuff to make a brew. Then again, that is their thing.



I totally bet this was intentional but I love how this ancient ale was bronze when it poured into the glass. I thought the aroma was kind of weird. There was a lot going on but it was hard for me to pinpoint much of anything. I can say it was herbal and I want to say I got some pomegranate and yeast. Again, hard to determine.

Tasting this beer was a little tough to figure out, too. There was a sweetness to it and some spices. Malty but thin with a medium body... if that makes sense... I enjoyed the pomegranate, wheat, bread... I had to think about this one a lot. Maybe I need a guided tasting of this one since it is so different from anything else out there. It reminded me a bit of Midas Touch.

Honestly, I don't know where to stand on this one. It was not bad, but it was not great, IMO, either. Very Complex. Just There. So Different. I wish I had others around me when I opened this so I could have gotten their opinions.

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. What did you think of the Ta Henket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember specifics & I didn't really take notes on it but here is an exchange I had between a buddy on Untappd 7 Months ago.

      Him: More gimmicky beer?
      Me: Pretty much. 2.5. Nothing special but not bad.

      Delete
  2. Dogfish Head's Ancient Ales always leave me feeling like you did at the end of your post. Maybe they're more of a novelty than anything? Out of all of the Ancient Ales, I think Theobroma is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite was Pangaea. Again, a total gimmick. Ingredients from all 7 continents. I mean who else, besides Sam Calagione, would order water from Antarctica.

      I thought it was the best of the bunch... Though, not sure if it is technically an ancient ale. It would be hard to classify my favorite of them.

      Delete
  3. Olá, tudo bem? Convido você a dar uma olhada em meu blog http://poeiradebau.blogspot.com.br/ e caso goste, considere seguí-lo :) Sua presença é bem vinda! Uma excelente noite!

    ReplyDelete