20130820

1001 Beers: Duchesse de Bourgogne

Beer Number 98: Brouwerij Verhaeghe Vichte Duchesse de Bourgogne

This beer has been a long time favorite of mine. I was first introduced to it after I first got into beer. I had never had a sour beer before... well, maybe a La Folie, but one day over at a buddies house while we were both brewing, one of his friends came over and brought over a whole slew of sour ales. I am so glad she did, but I would have for sure found this one at some point even if she didn't.
Breweries have been aging beer in wooden barrels for as long as there has been commercial brewing, but the practice has fallen off dramatically within the advent of more durable and less flavor-imparting stainless steel. In parts of Flanders, however, wood aging endures through the persistence of several beer styles, including the red ales sometimes known as the burgundies of Belgium.


Like I said, I am glad this one was showed to me but I would have loved it and found it eventually. The nose is very sweet and has a slight vinegar character. Some suggest pomegranate, but maybe I have not had enough of this to know exactly what that smells like. Though, there is a ton of fruit on the nose.

The deep red body with a tan, or brownish head leads you into the deep sweet fruit flavors of this beer. Cherries come to mind immediately and then they are attacked with that sweet vinegar taste that I smelled on the opening. A dry finish and simply delicious. The perfect body and mouthfeel. This could easily become my favorite beer.

903 Bottles Of Beer To Go!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment