20130605

1001 Beers: Fat Tire

Beer Number 55: New Belgium Fat Tire

So, I actually knocked this one off my list in the post with my Trip To The New Belgium Brewery, but somehow I forgot to count it! Instead of changing the numbers of all the following beers, (Fat Tire was originally number 18 or something), I just decided to give it another go! Lucky for me, this beer is everywhere!



Here are my tasting notes from the first time it hit this list.
The next part of the tour brought us to Fat Tire, and 1001 Beers Number 18. This was seriously the best Fat Tire I have ever had. I am usually not a fan of this beer, and maybe being at the source had some magical voodoo over me but just every layer of this beer came through and made me remember why I first started drinking the beer from this company. The biscuit, the crystal, just everything that makes this beer what it is was very well showcased here. I should have taken some of this home with me too. I guess I can easily find it at the store though. Not sure if it can ever taste this amazing again.
I realized at that time just how good Fat Tire was. This beer was one of my first in the world of Craft and I think that it is not given much attention due to the fact that it is so tamed compared to everything else nowaday. I think it is kind of crazy New Belgium is starting to run ads for this beer, and themselves, on Youtube... Never thought I would see the day, but I guess whatever gets their beer into someones hands. It is all a business, even if others fail to see this fact.



Just as it is an amber ale, this beer poured a very nice, and bright amber color with a slightly off white head. Notes of the biscuit malt and a bit of sweetness cut across the nose and bounce off of the billowy, long lasting head.

I was surprised to once again experience the toasty, bready, and caramel flavors that I guess I lost from years of just drinking this beer as an alternative to what was around. A un-remembered maltyness, medium bodied and you know, just a straight classic.

One you don't think about when you think of your favorite beers, but when you actually break it down, it's one of the best around.

946 Bottles Of Beer To Go!

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. I thought the Fat Tire I had on tour at NB was the best I had ever had too (by far). There is a lot to be said about freshness.

    I don't drink it a lot any more, but I do remember thinking when I last had it that it was very good too.

    But no doubt ... that little taste on the tour is better than you can get anywhere else in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I got to experience it. I hope to make it back there one day.

      Thanks for the read!

      Delete
  2. I've only had one go at drinking Fat Tire. It was at a conference I was attending in Colorado, and it was out of the bottle. I don't really remember much of how it tasted, but I love how it's fairly ubiquitous out in CO (and I'm sure other places). Glad to see that you think it still loves up to it's name, I've heard some people claim it's "not the same as it used to be", but maybe that is people's palates changing or whatever.

    Long story short, I can't wait to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beer that I lost touch and love of, glad my feelings were renewed.

      Thanks for the read!

      Delete