20120609

VooDoo Doughnuts

On our way back from Los Angeles we decided we should stop at the VooDoo Doughnut shop. This is one of the most popular doughnut shops in the Pacific NorthWest. They make all sorts of crazy things. From Cock & Balls, to the VooDoo Doughnut, and the one I am specifically talking about, The Bacon Maple Bar. Maple Bars have always been my favorite doughnut. I love the filled ones but this is exactly what I get every time I go into a shop. Not with Bacon of course.

There has been so much hype about the Bacon Maple Ale from Rogue that I knew I just had to try it. Luckily enough, I found a bottle of it at Vendome.

Here is a link to the VooDoo description of it. It basically breaks down why and what Rogue did. I still need to drink a lot of their ales, but I have never really been a fan of them to this point, so yeah.



Upon the pour you see a quick, bubbly, big head that fills toward the top of the glass but it dissipates very quickly. Not a bad thing at this point but I assumed that maybe the bacon is playing a reaction creating a loss in head retention. The nose is straight smoked bacon. It almost smelled like something I wanted no part of. I mean it was a good smell, but not something I would ever expect from a drink. I have no other way to describe it. You get exactly what you think you are at this point. I thought the beer would have a medium to thick mouthfeel but it was very light. Pretty much like water but the smokiness sticks throughout it so it lends a weird texture. Though, still good. Bacon all the way with a tad of sweetness, the maple I am assuming but it doesn't really taste mapley... is that a word? And a hint of breadyness. This is definitely an experience. But what is better than having a beer alone? The beer paired with its namesake doughnut.

Paired with the Doughnut. Interesting to say the least. Though, in a good way, once again. Remember to swallow before you taste your beer. I have had bad experiences with similar pastries before. The sweetness of the doughnut kills some of the smokiness but the bacon flavor remains. I do not know if this is from the bacon alone or the beer. I am assuming the beer. Very intense.

Overall, I would say a good doughnut and a good beer. Would I do it again? Yes. When? Who knows.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment