20120621

Ovila Tasting

Back home, for just a little bit anyway, about to move onto my next Duty Station but got to take a little bit of time to live carefree. I went over to a buddies house and brought over a few delights that I had been holding onto for a while. I really had no idea when I was going to drink these bottles and I thought I would have done so already, but yup, no better time than now.




It only made sense that we started at the first released and worked our way to the last released. I hear that they created a new version of the Dubbel and I am wondering if I got that one or if this is a bottle of the original. I think I picked this bottle up in Julyish...

Either way, I think this one is a lot better than the original I had. I do not know if the beer, in March 2011, was too young or if that version just had more of a bite than this one. It was great, if the old version, it mellowed out amazingly, if the new, they knew exactly what to fix. Dark fruits, raisins, a bit of a sweetness made this beer great.




Next came the Saison, originally released in June of 2011, I believe. It was spicy up front, the yeast bite for sure must have played a role. There was a weird flavor over top but I have no idea what it was. Great flavor though. It was tingly and fruity. Not my favorite saison but pretty solid.


Oh, the Quad. I have never had this beer before today. I bought a bottle of it, once released in November 2011, and it has been waiting for me ever since. I love everything that this beer stands for. It is a great example of the style. I am hoping I can get my hands on barrel aged version once it comes out but I would love to just have this one over and over again. Very malty and the dark fruits were just miraculous. It had a major boozy nose but it did not burn like other beers. When drinking it the warming sensation you feel is to die for. Fig. Yeah, Fig.

This is such a great series and I plan to pick up the 4 packs of Dubbel once they are released. The Saison is supposedly being replaced by a Golden Ale I believe, and the Quad is just being revamped all the way around apparently. I want to locate the few bottles left while I still can.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment