20120803

Kelpie

Not too long ago I had a vary good experience with Williams Bros Brewing Co and I learned quite a bit about Scottish ales and the ales that they were producing. I loved every single one of those in the 4 pack and I cannot wait to get them again. Though, there was a problem with the 4 pack... The information that came with it had FIVE BEERS LISTED!!! I have been missing one... so what did I did, what could I do?!?! I found the missing ale, Kelpie.




Kelpie is an ale made with Seaweed. The content in the packet of information I received states:
At least four hundred years ago, the coastal & Island farmers of Scotland used seaweed beds to grow their cereal crops. This barley produced very interesting flavours in the ale and whisky they produced. Including bladderwrack seaweed in the mash tun along with organic barley gives this wholesome dark ale a distinctive flavour.
It truly did. This beer is said to be served in a lightly chilled wide glass and it sits at 4.4% abv... again, I did not listen to the glass recommendation. I will get it right someday. This ale had a very distinctive flavor alright, like a light, roasted chocolateyness and slightly salty. It was nothing that would deter me from the ale, in fact it was hardly noticeable except for in the finish. The ale was quite sweet, rich, in fact until finish. They say this ale has the aroma of a sea breeze and I would not say that it was too far off. I know nothing about ales with seaweed in them so I was trying to pick out everything I could that could lead to discovering how it was used and how it may have affected the ale, but I just settled with another great ale from this company and another one I would definitely recommend. The whole set from this brewery was really good. It's a shame I didn't discover them earlier.

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment