20120527

1001 Beers: Dale's Pale Ale

Beer Number 4: Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale



I don't have much experience with canned beers. I mean, I don't avoid them but there aren't many that I just go up to and say, "I must drink from this can!", but I always hear so many great things about Oskar Blues. Dale's Pale Ale has been recommended to me many of times, as I am sure it has been to others as well. So, I figured would give it a try. Especially knowing that it is in my book, 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die.

I drank this one straight from the can so I may revisit this one from a glass. I ordered this one a nice, cool, Texas night sitting outside at one of my favorite bars, The Friendly Spot. So I just sat there care free and enjoyed this tasty delight.

I was not fully able to get the classic aspects of a review but I loved the strong piney hop, a tad grassy but really nice for a pale ale. I expected the hops to be a little over the top but they are in a nice flavor balance. 4/5

There is actually an interesting story about the start of this beer, or at least the reason it is in a can. This book is full of these little facts, another reason I love it.

A lack of money for promotion in the early years of the U.S. craft-brewing revolution saw smaller breweries asking drinkers to consider the importance of what is in the bottle rather than what is in the advertisement. This changed in 2002 when a tiny brewery in the Colorado town of Lyons began canning its beer--by hand in a barn beside the brewpub where Dale's Pale Ale was produced. Cans, previously shunned by craft beer drinkers, became hip.


Pretty much sounds like the times we are in. I had issues with my first canned beer, not really, but I had no idea if I was supposed to drink it from the can or pour it into the glass. Apparently, either way is fine but the can became popular for its ability to easily be carried around, drank from, and recycled. Sounds pretty bad ass to me.

997 Bottles of Beer To Go!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment