20120421

Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA

I know on my hunt for great craft beer I always pick up something that I have never had before but there are some situations that are different from others. Usually in the case of the major breweries. I tend to go to their website and look at their whole line up and see what they have released and if possible when it is coming out. Dogfish is doing quite a bit at the moment. They have a few beers out that I have never even heard of but I did not waste a moment picking up the ones I could find, case in point. Dogfish Head 75 minute. Totally surprised me. I had no idea it was on a major bottle release right now.

I have had the 60 Minute and 90 Minute quite a bit. I even had a taste of their 120 minute before the quality issues a few years back. 120 was actually the first IPA that I cared for and it really opened my eyes to what an IPA could really taste like. I drank quite a few of them before and I could not find anything I liked in the style. Anyway, 75 Minute, as I last knew it to be, is a blend of the 60 Minute and the 90 Minute. I was always interested in what this would taste like. I even took a bottle of 60 and 90 and mixed them in a glass at home just to simulate it before because I thought I would never get my hands on it.



I found this one at The Friendly Spot, so I had to drink it out of a plastic cup. I tried to give it the full, deserved, respect though. I poured it and let the head build on this one, and let it settle before topping it up. It was insanely big… unless that was an effect of the plastic cup, and it was quite long lasting.

I thought the aroma was light, but I was also outdoors and I was sticking my nose deep in there trying to pick it out. It seemed piney and really reminded me of the two beers that were blended to make it… it actually reminded me a lot of a Dogfish Head ale.

So, when it comes to Dogfish Head, I try everything they release but I am hardly ever too impressed by what I drink. I mean, nothing against the brewers. There are a few year rounds I will pick up depending on overall store selection and I love their passion and respect for beer, but the only ones that I really loved and I called must haves again were Pangaea (a total gimmick beer), and Bitches Brew. Love those two. Let me explain Pangaea, an ingredient from every continent. That is totally gimmicky, but I love that brew. What else do I have to say?

The taste, exactly what I expected. It tasted just like a Dogfish Brew… well, for the most part. I usually find them to be really syrupy/malty but not so much in this case. It still had that thick bodied but it leaned more toward the lighter end like the 60 Minute. I love how Dogfish doesn’t go for the hop bomb bitterness with these beers but more the grassy, citrus flavor profile. It is a side of hops that many brewers overlook in this style. It’s sweet but balanced. There are notes of maple that are somewhat difficult to pick out but they lingered well into the finish. One thing I always appreciated in these brews is the low level of natural carbonation. Makes it very smooth to drink being they are not your average IPAs. You can always pick their brews out when next to something else.

Overall, I liked the 75 Minute IPA. I still think 60 is my favorite but I love to explore the other continuously hopped ales. I cannot wait to find 120 Minute again… That day, I hope, will be magical. Like finding a long lost friend.

Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment